February 2017 Crazy Clinical Corner
Rosalie Lopez is a 76 year old woman. She comes into your pharmacy to get something for heartburn. She says she has had heartburn before, but this is a lot stronger and didn’t start after eating spicy food (her usual trigger). She said that it is so painful it is making it hard to breath and her usual salbutamol inhaler is not helping much. Alerted by these comments you ask if she is feeling any other symptoms and she says that whilst the pain in heartburn is usually in the middle of the chest today it is more up one side to her neck and shoulder. Realising what seems to be happening you ask her to sit down and call an ambulance.
1: What is Rosalie most likely suffering from?
2: What medication can be given to help Anne now?
3: When in hospital what medication will she be started to prevent it occurring again?
Compounding Corner – February 2017
Preparation of a Magistral Formulation
You receive a prescription in your pharmacy with the following details:
Patient’s name : Rose D
Age : 50
Prescription: External solution
Direction: Apply on the wart
Salicylic acid 8g
Lactic acid 8g
Alcohol 90% v/v qs dissolve
Collodion to 50g
1. What is the difference between a solution and a suspension?
2. What is the use of alcohol 90% v/v in this formulation?
3. You are asked to prepare this external solution. What should you check first?
4. How much alcohol 90% v/v (in grams) would be required to produce the 50g solution?
5. You have bottles of 30 ml, 60 ml, and 90 ml available in your pharmacy. Which size of bottle are you going to use and explain your choice?
6. Salicylic and lactic acids are active ingredients. What are their properties on the skin?
7. What is the use of collodion in this preparation?
8. Indicate two organoleptic properties of alcohol 90% v/v.
9. Alcohol is an excipient. Give the definition of an excipient.
10. What are the labelling considerations for this preparation?
Here are some indications to answer the questions:
– one gram of salicylic acid is dissolved in 2.2 mL of alcohol 90% v/v
– density of the solution: 0.89 g/ml
– density of alcohol 90% v/v: 0.83 g/ml
– note: density=mass/volume
What makes CPSA unique?
“Things I would like to highlight is that in last mandate we had the most organized public health campaigns (15 PHC) and we organized the first virtual congress with the theme ‘Dose of Pharmaceutical Future’. Students from over 40 countries participated in this congress. Last year we were recognised as the most active association in Online PCE and received the Sidney J. Relph award for most active association in the world. We’ve organized Patient Counselling Event and Clinical Skills Event. Last year we also started with a project called CPSApunčić. CPSApučić is held in kindergardens to teach children at young age about importance of personal hygiene. The name comes from Croatian word for little soap – sapunčić. This public health event last year was recognized by the University of Zagreb and won Rector’s Award.
Membership in CPSA is very affordable for our students, it is only 20 kn ( 2.67 €). Also every year we organize Annual Congress, it last for three days and our General Assembly in on the last day of Congress. Fee for the Congress is only 40 kn ( 5.33 €).
Our unique project is Virtual PharmaCon. In December 2016 we organized the second edition. This project aims to connect lecturers from a range of countries with students from all around the globe by utilizing the possibilities of modern technologies. We believe that these kind of projects will enable a better knowledge and information exchange among our colleagues, as well as an advancement of our profession. It enables participants to listen to great lectures from comfort of their home without paying any registration fee.”
– Iva Mitrović, Contact Person
Purpose statement of CPSA:
Croatian Pharmacy and Medical Biochemistry Students’ Association (or shortly, CPSA) is independent non-profit association. It has been founded in 1994 at the initiative of the Student Council. At first the aim was simply the improvement of students’ life by connecting them in an association where they could change ideas, but in the following years CPSA grew bigger and expanded its field of work. CPSA is the only association representing pharmacy and medical biochemistry students in Croatia; including two schools – one in Zagreb and the other one in Split. Consisting of 150 members, CPSA organizes fundraising activities and primarily promotes education of its students on regional level by informing them on topics regarding profession, health, news and current issues from the field of biomedical sciences through meetings and public campaigns. As an independent association, CPSA exercises cooperation with partners in both country and the world with the aim of realization of various projects and campaigns.
- President: Bruno Rački (email@example.com)
- Secretary: Jelena Kurija (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- EPSA Liaison Secretary (LS): Marin Tušinec (email@example.com)
- IPSF Contact Person (CP): Iva Mitrović (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Student Exchange Officer (SEO): Tajana Iva Pejaković (email@example.com)
- Commisioner for Advertising and Sponsorship: Sara Šipicki (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Petra Neralić (email@example.com)
- Mia Šojat (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Stjepan Perić (email@example.com)
- IMP Coordinator: Marin Vrhovac (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TWINNET Coordinator: Marin Vrhovac (email@example.com)
- Publications Coordinator: Severina Jajčević (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- LEO Zagreb: Jelena Mišić (email@example.com)
- CSE Coordinator: Luka Bender (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PCE Coordinator: Dalia Vađunec (email@example.com)
- PHC Zagreb: Jelena Durbek (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- IT Coordinator: Karlo Žili (email@example.com)
- General Contact for Split/PHC: Tomislav Marković (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- LEO Split: Marija Vladović (email@example.com)
Find CPSA on Social Media:
The World Healthcare Students’ Symposium (WHSS) is the world’s biggest health students’ conference. It is held every 2 years and Rwanda is the proud host of its 7th edition to be held on November 23-27 in Kigali. The theme is: “Towards the SDGs agenda 2030: The role of a multidisciplinary approach in healthcare.” The conference aims at creating a global platform for discussions and common understanding of shared values and responsibilities for healthcare professionals. Registration will open soon! For more information, visit the event website.
Policy Brief on Migration and Youth
IPSF worked with WHSA Partners on a Policy Brief on Migration and Youth to be presented at the 2nd Global Consultation on Migrant Health, 21-23 February 2017 in Srilanka.
FIP WCPPS 2017
Registration for the 77th FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is open! This year’s theme is ‘Medicines and Beyond! The Soul of Pharmacy.” FIPWCPPS will be taking place from 10-14 September in Seoul, Republic of Korea. Find more information on their website. Early bird registration ends 1 March so do not delay!
Public Health Campaigns
The SEO Scoop
- Winners of SEP photo contest #1:
- ASEPA, Algeria
- ARPEC, Algeria
- EPSF, Egypt
- **Album with photos can be seen here.
- There will be additional placements from March from the application form reallocation program (AF-RP). If you didn’t have chance to go on SEP and you wanted to, this might be your chance. Check with your SEO if there can be additional SEP application form for you and which countries are offering additional placements.
- statistical data (24.2.2017)
- RESERVED: 521
- APPROVED: 375
- PLACED: 126
- SUCCESSFUL: 8 (WINTER SEP)
- Don’t forget to read SEP love stories under SEP Newscast and see how IPSF and SEP are connecting people from all around the world!
- This year Ms. Yasmin Nasr Eldin, IPSF Affiliation Coordinator for the 2016-2017 mandate had decided to initiate an idea for motivating our IPSFers by sending them back in time to the powerful history of IPSF; making them live in the past history and moments. The goal was to engage and promote HLMs. HLMs (Honorary Life Members) are the IPSF members who have been honored to have life memberships. Some challenges faced include: how to reach the HLMs, especially those from decades ago (it’s like searching for gems in big deserts), how to motivate them to be involved again with us even if they are busy, and another many issues of reaching them. We are excited to share this project with you. The project was conducted on FaceBook, and the results can be seen here.
- So far we have received interest in membership applications from 13 associations. (4 from AfRO, 2 from APRO, 1 EMRO, 1 EuRO and 5 PARO). We have already received completed applications from 2 associations (from APRO and EMRO) It looks like the IPSF family is on track to grow even larger this year!
AfRO has released a number of interesting articles on their blog. One highlight includes How to Host an Outreach Trip. Also, check out this article about AfRO Chairperson Arinze!
APPS Registration is now open! Find information about APPS and the registration process on their FaceBook page!
EMRO: Two meetings, One place!
From the 17th to the 19th of February, EMRO Regional Working Group (RWG) held their face-to-face meeting in Cairo, Egypt. During this meeting, members of the RWG discussed and planned EMRO projects and initiatives for the rest of the mandate.
This meeting was also the opportunity for the EMRO RWG to meet with WHO EMRO representatives at the WHO EMRO Headquarters in Cairo in order to discuss future collaborations between IPSF EMRO and WHO EMRO.
EuRO held a series of webinars on 21 and 22 February by a number of prominent female scientists and international organization representatives. With it, we hope to empower our students by giving them new knowledge and even assist them in their search for personal interests.
IPSF PARO would like to share our region’s IPSF-related campaigns and experiences on Facebook with our new PAROspotlight initiative! We know our members and associations are hosting amazing events, and we would love to showcase what you’ve been doing to the rest of the world. Get started by filling out the form.